Henry and his new Race Car..

Henry and his new Race Car..
Early 2009

Monday, September 19, 2011

Dual microphone system for iphone video in car.

In my quest for great video during our drives and what not, I had become dissatisfied with the audio from video recorded in the car, and the wind noise when recorded out side the car...  It was distracting and not immersive enough for my taste.  I looked into go pro, etc.  But they do not yet offer an external audio input..  Hmmmm.  So I got to digging around and figured out a great system for low buck.  Well, compared to pro recording systems its low buck.  But the problem was that it all had to be designed around a mini jack connection!!  This is what 112 bucks-ish got me.

First, I found a break out cable for the mic and head phone plug on the phone..



And then I needed a mini jack mixer for setting recording levels..  

This little guy is not powered, but offers 2 mono inputs and one stereo.  And of course an output.  All via mini jack.



Next, due to the fact that I had no powered mixer, and hence no phantom power, I needed two or more mics that are small, self powered, and with long cords..  I found lavaliere microphones to be the ticket!  And under 20 dollars each!!

I mounted one at the tail pipe, and one at the carb in my initial testing.  While the range on these is only down to 70Hz, its not bad for the $.  I would have to add a power inverter and a phantom power box with better mics, and that would cost big bucks.  Maybe when GoPro adds an audio input would it be worth the expense.



And then it all hangs on a $4 window mount on the front glass..  I had to make a hole for the camera!




Although pretty simple, I find it very exciting and effective.  Now conversation in the car while driving and recording isn't a problem!  And the immersive effect of hearing the woosh of the carburetor and the growl (granted only 70Hz+) of the exhaust is VERY subtle but COOL.

Here are some examples.  I have only had the opportunity to mess with it twice now, but I will get it dialed in.  Now I just need a more stable iphone4 mounting system..

First recording..


After adjusting mic locations and getting a better level setting.  I still need to remove the metal PCV valve to eliminate that metallic rattle you hear..