Henry and his new Race Car..

Henry and his new Race Car..
Early 2009

Monday, September 19, 2011

Scheel (and maybe Recaro) seat adapters for 2002.

So.  I wasn't real fond of the ride height for the Scheel seat sliders with an adapter.  My dang hat was brushing the ceiling of the car..!  So I originally bent sheet metal adapters that lowered the seats to a respectable height.  But in my quest for an even lower seat height, I teamed up with a friend and made a solid solution.  After careful measurements and Jon's input while drawing up the CAD file, I had a first prototype!  Just a solid plate of 1/8" CNC laser cut.





Upon installation, the ride height was terrific.  Fit was spot on, with no modification needed.  The only issue I found was that the plate was too flat.  With the strong lumbar support of the seat back, I was actually pushed forward and the seat lacked the natural rake, back to front, that would have been present with the seat suspension under my body weight.  So a version 2 and 3 were put into motion.

I had Jon draw a hollow center bracket that would allow seats with strong webbing to function as designed.  So for guys with nicely rebuilt seats, the frames are simple and clean.



But for cheap skates like me, I needed a better design that would support the center, but allow the missing rake.  So I came up with this..


As pictured, the adapter is incomplete.  The concept is to weld in tabs on the back that allow the center to drop at the rear.  Here is the finished raw adapter.



After prime and paint, the new design was shaping up and looked very promising.  Once installed, I found the slightly lower positioning to be very comfortable in the seat.  And for driving.  Simple, functional, and supportive of my tired webbing.  This design would also be bonus for any seat being that it would prevent wear on new webbing and the aging fabric of original seats.



Mounted in the car and on the seat..






And in the car!






This shot is to illustrate the location of my shoulders in relation to the height of the seat back..  I am 5'10".


So in the end, I say its a GO!  with either design, I think anyone would be content.

Lets take a drive,,,,!