Henry and his new Race Car..

Henry and his new Race Car..
Early 2009

Monday, October 24, 2011

Custom RGB 2002 Groupe Roundel!


So I had an idea. And this one actually worked. It's metal worker, meets jeweler, meets bored guy after kids are in bed

Before:



After:






I started with grinding off the vertical line.  I measured my hood roundel and drew a 45mm arrow to scale in Adobe Illustrator.  Printed it on paper and stick glued it on a spare hood roundel for test fit.
Then I made a trip to Hobby Lobby for 8 bucks worth of supplies..




I printed another and glued it to the .032" aluminum sheet and cut the arrow out with a Dremmel. 



After some finish grinding, it looked good to go...



Then I clearanced the horizontal line for the arrow. And used a small hammer to form the arrow to the contour of the roundel.  I trimmed it to fit snugly into the ID of the circle and kept working it to lay as flat as possible before adhering. Once I liked the fit, I outlined the arrow with a sharp pencil and painted in some contractor grade contact cement and glued it down. 



After some sanding with a disc on the Dremmel, I painted it in with Testors paint. 





Then I sanded off any sloppy paining errors and threw it on this morning, just in time for cars and coffee..!  




It makes me chuckle every time I look at it!  I can't believe I pulled it off.  The only improvement would be polishing the aluminum and giving it a cleaner paint job. But I love it as it is!