Henry and his new Race Car..

Henry and his new Race Car..
Early 2009

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

2/5/09. The first post.

I guess I will start by saying, HELL YEAH! I finally purchased my first running 2002! How it began: About four years ago while visiting my brother (Hi Bryce) in LA, I had a funny little car zip past me and it had me tingling, I HAD to find out what it was. Being that I had been a hardcore MOPAR 'A' body fanatic for years, it was weird to me that a foreign car would make me react so profoundly!! I flew home a few days later and almost immediately jumped on the compy and began researching. Within a few months my beloved 340 4 speed 1969 Valiant, that I had built from scratch from a lowly base model slant 6 car to a rough and tumble street racer, was on the auction block. Over time I had become increasingly enchanted with the 2002's mechanics, its perky little stance, and the fact that its a 4 banger! In the summer of '06 I purchased a non-running 71 parts car with the understanding that I knew NOTHING about these cars. So the logic was, buy a basket case and tear it down. What better way to learn the lay out and details of a car? Later that summer I made the move to buy a car that I would want for my project. And ALAS, I found an orphaned Inka roundie out of LA and had it shipped here to Cincinnati. But, as quietly as it rolled in to my garage, it rolled right back out. Troubled times hit and I sold it to JohnySquare to park next to his cherry poppin' 76 rust rocket. Sad day. But the silver lining is the fact that he and I are now good friends and from what I can tell, we just might be this cities most fervent and active 2002 owners! (While we have spotted a few cars, we have yet to have been approached or contacted by more than one other owner.. helloooooo?!) So my 2002 habit stagnated for a year or so... until just now! I simultaneously picked up another basket case 1600 to part out as well as my first running 2002! Out of sunny CA comes my very own San Francisco treat!