Henry and his new Race Car..

Henry and his new Race Car..
Early 2009

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Passenger Side Mirror

8/31/10


K.  so I recently was laid off again.  Grrrr.  So time to throw on the simple parts that I have accumulated over the last year I guess..



So I'm starting with the passenger side mirror I picked up from Scott Aaron in January..  Here's the process, for those who are interested.  Drilling holes is always a nerve racking experience.  Hopefully this will shed some light and make it a bit more relaxing for others down the road.

Here are the holes from my donor car.  You will need to notch the new holes to make a way for the tabs on the basket nuts to pass through the body, then rotate the nut so they don't pull right back through.


-so lets get to it!

1.  Painters tape on the spot to be violated.  This prevents scratches, markings on the paint, and unnecessary paint chips when drilling.


2. Measure.  I had a donor car, so I just marked the tape with a pencil.  But you can pull the numbers off the pics for your project.




3.  Transfer measurements to the painters tape.


4.  Drill pilot holes with a 3/16" bit.  Then follow with a 21/64 for the main hole.




5.  Follow with some clever side drilling with the 3/16 bit, testing the basket nuts until they are able to pass through the body..


..then remove the tape!



6.  Follow with some precise painting to seal the metal.


From here is rather self explanatory...  Get the nuts in, put the mirror on, and drive it like you stole it-with better visibility!



Good times..